A visit to the Hoonah Cemetery ...
We aren't confident of the location of the Hoonah Cemetery, so consider the above location as an estimate.<1>
We have organized the cemeteries in our Gazetteer based on a problem that we had while working on our own genealogy. Without specifying the cemeteries involved, we found an ancestor that we believed to have been buried in one cemetery was actually buried elsewhere. We discovered that his burial had been refused at the last moment and the family had scrambled to make new arrangements. By looking at nearby cemeteries, the surrounding communities and in newspapers of the period, we were finally able to locate his burial site. Should you find yourself in the same situation, we hope that our Gazetteer helps you discover your lost ancestor.
The Location of the Hoonah Cemetery ...
The Hoonah Cemetery is located outside and to the northwest of Hoonah.
Jump to Google Maps centered on the Hoonah Cemetery
We are using the following GPS coordinates (latitude and longitude) for the Hoonah Cemetery
Lat: 58.1177° (58° 7' 3")
Lon: -135.4565° (-135° 27' 23")
Note: The GPS location that we are using for the Hoonah Cemetery has been estimated.
Websites to help with your research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their websites are open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that might help with the Hoonah Cemetery:
- Pages specific to Alaska:
- Cemetery Information and Directories:
- About the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church ...
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Disaster Stories from Alaska
List of neighboring communities ...
The following 7 communities are within 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> of the Hoonah Cemetery.
- Excursion Inlet
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Excursion Inlet
- Excursion Inlet lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the north of Hoonah Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Excursion Inlet
- Freshwater Bay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Freshwater Bay have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Freshwater Bay
- Freshwater Bay lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the southeast of Hoonah Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Freshwater Bay
- Game Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Game Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Game Creek
- Game Creek lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the southwest of Hoonah Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Game Creek
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Tenakee Springs
- Whitestone Logging Camp
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Whitestone Logging Camp have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Whitestone Logging Camp
- Whitestone Logging Camp lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<2> to the south of Hoonah Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Whitestone Logging Camp
For the full list of neighboring communities with details, please visit our extended List of Communities.
Nearby communities with newspapers ...
The following communities are those where newspapers have been published and are located in the vicinity of the Hoonah Cemetery. The following communities are located in .
More information can be found on our list of Local Newspapers for The Hoonah Cemetery.
- Excursion Inlet
- Tenakee Springs
List of the closest cemeteries ...
We know of 4 cemeteries that are within 40 miles [64.4 km] of the Hoonah Cemetery. The cemeteries are listed in alphabetical order.
- Alaskan Memorial Park
- Alaskan Memorial Park lies 36 miles [57.9 km]<2> to the northeast of Hoonah Cemetery.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Alaskan Memorial Park
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Alaskan Memorial Park
- Evergreen Cemetery
- The Evergreen Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located in Juneau.
- To be more precise, Evergreen Cemetery lies 39 miles [62.8 km]<2> to the east of Hoonah Cemetery.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Evergreen Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Evergreen Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #174229<5>
- Funter Bay Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Funter Bay Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<1>
- Funter Bay Cemetery lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> to the northeast of Hoonah Cemetery.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Funter Bay Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Funter Bay Cemetery
- Grave Island Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Grave Island Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<1>
- The Grave Island Cemetery is located in the vicinity of Tenakee Springs
- Stated another way, Grave Island Cemetery lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the south of Hoonah Cemetery.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Grave Island Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grave Island Cemetery
For an expanded list with details, please visit our List of cemeteries.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- ) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point at the Hoonah Cemetery. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 58.1177, Longitude: -135.4565
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|