A visit to the Haines Cemetery ...
We aren't confident of the location of the Haines Cemetery, so consider the above location as an estimate.<1>
Since our focus is on geography, we don't have burial or interment information. Nor do we have any contact information for the Haines Cemetery. For information of that nature, we suggest the Find-A-Grave<2> website: The Haines Cemetery (FAG ID #2210289)
We have organized the cemeteries in our Gazetteer based on a problem that we had while working on our own genealogy. Without specifying the cemeteries involved, we found an ancestor that we believed to have been buried in one cemetery was actually buried elsewhere. We discovered that his burial had been refused at the last moment and the family had scrambled to make new arrangements. By looking at nearby cemeteries, the surrounding communities and in newspapers of the period, we were finally able to locate his burial site. Should you find yourself in the same situation, we hope that our Gazetteer helps you discover your lost ancestor.
The Location of the Haines Cemetery ...
The Haines Cemetery is located in Haines.
Jump to Google Maps centered on the Haines Cemetery
We are using the following GPS coordinates (latitude and longitude) for the Haines Cemetery
Lat: 59.2322° (59° 13' 55")
Lon: -135.4428° (-135° 26' 34")
Note: The GPS location that we are using for the Haines Cemetery has been estimated.
Websites to help with your research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first turn to the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their websites are open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that might help with the Haines Cemetery:
- Pages specific to Alaska:
- Cemetery Information and Directories:
- About the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church ...
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Disaster Stories from Alaska
List of neighboring communities ...
The following 12 communities are within 30 miles [48.3 km]<3> of the Haines Cemetery.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chilkat
- Chilkat lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the northwest of Haines Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chilkat
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chilkoot
- Chilkoot lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the northwest of Haines Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chilkoot
- Covenant Life
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Covenant Life have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Covenant Life
- Covenant Life lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<3> to the northwest of Haines Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Covenant Life
- Dyea - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dyea
- Dyea was located 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the north of Haines Cemetery
- Continue List (8 more) ...
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Klukwan have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Klukwan
- Klukwan lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the northwest of Haines Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Klukwan
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lutak have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lutak
- Lutak lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the northwest of Haines Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lutak
- Mud Bay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mud Bay have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mud Bay
- Mud Bay lies 5 miles [8 km]<3> to the southeast of Haines Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mud Bay
- Port Chilkoot - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Port Chilkoot
- Port Chilkoot was located less than 2 miles<3> to the southeast of Haines Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wells
- Wells lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<3> to the northwest of Haines Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wells
- White Pass
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for White Pass came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for White Pass
- White Pass lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<3> to the northeast of Haines Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on White Pass
For the full list of neighboring communities with details, please visit our extended List of Communities.
Nearby communities with newspapers ...
The following communities are those where newspapers have been published and are located in the vicinity of the Haines Cemetery. The following communities are located in .
More information can be found on our list of Local Newspapers for The Haines Cemetery.
- Dyea - Historic
List of the closest cemeteries ...
We know of 4 cemeteries that are within 20 miles [32.2 km] of the Haines Cemetery. The cemeteries are listed in alphabetical order.
- Gold Rush Cemetery
- The Gold Rush Cemetery is located outside and to the northeast of Skagway.
- More accurately, Gold Rush Cemetery lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<3> to the north of Haines Cemetery.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Gold Rush Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gold Rush Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2164940<2>
- Johns Point Cemetery
- Skagway Cemetery
- Yendistucky Indian Cemetery
For an expanded list with details, please visit our List of cemeteries.
Miscellaneous References and Mentions ...
While our initial data for the Haines Cemetery came from goverment sources, we have also found mention of the Haines Cemetery elsewhere. Typically we have little information to start with, but we try to add detail as we continue our research. We've created the following list to keep track of the sources we found useful in our research about the Haines Cemetery.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- ) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point at the Haines Cemetery. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 59.2322, Longitude: -135.4428
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|