Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Caribou Crossing, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Caribou Crossing and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Caribou Crossing:
- 64.764722, -149.871667
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Caribou Crossing
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Caribou Crossing ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Eureka have been provided by the GNIS.<1> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Eureka
- Eureka lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the north of Caribou Crossing
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Eureka
- Flag Crossing
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Flag Crossing have been provided by the GNIS.<1> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Flag Crossing
- Flag Crossing lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the northwest of Caribou Crossing
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Flag Crossing
- Four Mile Road
- Jennie M. Crossing
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Jennie M. Crossing have been provided by the GNIS.<1> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jennie M. Crossing
- Jennie M. Crossing lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the northwest of Caribou Crossing
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jennie M. Crossing
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Manley Hot Springs
- Rock Crossing
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rock Crossing have been provided by the GNIS.<1> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rock Crossing
- Rock Crossing lies 5 miles [8 km]<2> to the west of Caribou Crossing
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rock Crossing
- Scotchmans Crossing
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Scotchmans Crossing have been provided by the GNIS.<1> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Scotchmans Crossing
- Scotchmans Crossing lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the northwest of Caribou Crossing
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Scotchmans Crossing
How Far From Caribou Crossing to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Caribou Crossing to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Caribou Crossing and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 673 miles [1,083.1 km]<2> to the southeast (SE). If you could drive a straight line from Caribou Crossing to Juneau, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 39 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 27 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,331 miles [5,360.7 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 7 days, a buggy would take 131 days and walking would take 190 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,756 miles [9,263.4 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,455 miles [10,388.3 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,001 miles [8,048.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Caribou Crossing. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Caribou Crossing) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Caribou Crossing. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 64.7647, Longitude: -149.8717 In this case, the coordinates for Caribou Crossing have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Caribou Crossing to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 4.369 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 9.039 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 346.289 degrees.||