Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Cape Yakataga, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Cape Yakataga and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Cape Yakataga:
- 60.066389, -142.430833
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Cape Yakataga
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
How Far From Cape Yakataga to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Cape Yakataga to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance<1> beginning in Cape Yakataga and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 308 miles [495.7 km]<1> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Cape Yakataga to Juneau, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take five to six hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 18 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 12 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,114 miles [5,011.5 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 7 days, a buggy would take 122 days and walking would take 177 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,085 miles [9,792.9 km] and it lies to the north (N).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,800 miles [10,943.5 km] and it lies to the north (N).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,245 miles [8,441 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Cape Yakataga. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Cape Yakataga) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Cape Yakataga. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Cape Yakataga
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cape Yakataga. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 60.0664, Longitude: -142.4308 In this case, the coordinates for Cape Yakataga have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Cape Yakataga to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 358.015 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 2.124 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 340.996 degrees.||