Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Cape Nome, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Cape Nome and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Cape Nome:
- 64.463889, -164.959444
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Cape Nome
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Cape Nome ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Lees Camp
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lees Camp have been provided by the GNIS.<1> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lees Camp
- Lees Camp lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the northeast of Cape Nome
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lees Camp
- Port Safety
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Port Safety have been provided by the GNIS.<1> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Port Safety
- Port Safety lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the east of Cape Nome
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Port Safety
- Salmon Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Salmon Lake
- Salmon Lake lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the north of Cape Nome
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Salmon Lake
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Cape Nome. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Ada Blackjack Johnson (Explorer)
How Far From Cape Nome to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Cape Nome to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Cape Nome and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 1,082 miles [1,741.3 km]<2> to the east (E). If you could drive a straight line from Cape Nome to Juneau, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take over two days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 62 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 43 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,772 miles [6,070.4 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take 8 days, a buggy would take 148 days and walking would take 215 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,693 miles [9,162 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,352 miles [10,222.6 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,083 miles [8,180.3 km] and it lies to the north (N).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Cape Nome. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Cape Nome) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cape Nome. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 64.4639, Longitude: -164.9594 In this case, the coordinates for Cape Nome have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Cape Nome to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 17.219 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 22.985 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 357.993 degrees.||