Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Cape Fanshaw, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Cape Fanshaw and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Cape Fanshaw:
- 57.212778, -133.501944
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Cape Fanshaw
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
How Far From Cape Fanshaw to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Cape Fanshaw to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance<1> beginning in Cape Fanshaw and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 82 miles [132 km]<1> to the north northwest (NNW). If you could drive a straight line from Cape Fanshaw to Juneau, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 5 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of three days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,794 miles [4,496.5 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 6 days, a buggy would take 110 days and walking would take 159 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,249 miles [10,056.8 km] and it lies to the north (N).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,985 miles [11,241.3 km] and it lies to the north (N).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,306 miles [8,539.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Cape Fanshaw. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Cape Fanshaw) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cape Fanshaw. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 57.2128, Longitude: -133.5019 In this case, the coordinates for Cape Fanshaw have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Cape Fanshaw to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 350.443 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 353.671 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 334.666 degrees.||