Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Broad Pass, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Broad Pass and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Broad Pass:
- 63.233333, -149.266667
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Broad Pass
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Broad Pass ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
In the vicinity of Broad Pass, Colorado is located 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the Southwest
How Far From Broad Pass to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Broad Pass to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<2> community of Broad Pass once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Broad Pass and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 603 miles [970.4 km]<1> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Broad Pass to Juneau, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 35 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 24 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,322 miles [5,346.2 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 7 days, a buggy would take 130 days and walking would take 189 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,863 miles [9,435.6 km] and it lies to the north (N).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,562 miles [10,560.5 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,099 miles [8,206 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Broad Pass) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Broad Pass. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Broad Pass
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Broad Pass. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 63.2333, Longitude: -149.2667 In this case, the coordinates for Broad Pass have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Broad Pass, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Broad Pass to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 3.841 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 8.493 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 345.935 degrees.||