Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Birches, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Birches and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Birches:
- 65.135000, -153.556667
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Birches
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Birches ...
We have found one communities that share the name Birches.
Within Alaska, the name Birches is unique.
Beyond Alaska, there is another community also named Birches in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Howard County
- This Birches is located in Howard County and lies 3,421 miles [5,505.6 km]<1> to the east.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Birches
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Howard County community of Birches.
How Far From Birches to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Birches to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Birches and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 778 miles [1,252.1 km]<1> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Birches to Juneau, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 45 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 31 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,435 miles [5,528.1 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 7 days, a buggy would take 135 days and walking would take 196 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,720 miles [9,205.4 km] and it lies to the north (N).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,410 miles [10,315.9 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,999 miles [8,045.1 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Birches. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Birches) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Birches. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 65.1350, Longitude: -153.5567 In this case, the coordinates for Birches have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Birches to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 7.525 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 12.458 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 349.12 degrees.||