Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Birch Creek, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Birch Creek and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Birch Creek:
- 66.259035, -145.819017
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Birch Creek
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Birch Creek ...
We have found four communities that share the name Birch Creek.
Within Alaska, the name Birch Creek is unique.
Beyond Alaska, we know of another four communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Inyo County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the California community of Birch Creek [Inyo County].
- Bingham County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Idaho community of Birch Creek [Bingham County].
- Menominee County
- This Birch Creek is located in Menominee County and lies 2,552 miles [4,107 km]<2> to the east.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Birch Creek
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Menominee County community of Birch Creek.
- Beaverhead County
- This community is historic<3> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Montana community of Birch Creek [Beaverhead County].
How Far From Birch Creek to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Birch Creek to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Birch Creek and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 658 miles [1,058.9 km]<2> to the southeast (SE). If you could drive a straight line from Birch Creek to Juneau, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 38 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 26 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,211 miles [5,167.6 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 7 days, a buggy would take 126 days and walking would take 183 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,659 miles [9,107.3 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,367 miles [10,246.7 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,871 miles [7,839.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Birch Creek. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Birch Creek could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Birch Creek) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Birch Creek. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Birch Creek
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Birch Creek. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 66.2590, Longitude: -145.8190 In this case, the coordinates for Birch Creek have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<3>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Birch Creek, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Birch Creek to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 0.905 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 5.258 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 343.01 degrees.||