Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Bell Island Hot Springs, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Bell Island Hot Springs and the surrounding area.
- Weather ...
- Before heading outdoors, you should check the weather:
- The National Weather Service forecast for Bell Island Hot Springs
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Bell Island Hot Springs:
- 55.931667, -131.565278
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Bell Island Hot Springs
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Bell Island Hot Springs ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
In the vicinity of Bell Island Hot Springs, Yes Bay (now historic) was located 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the West
How Far From Bell Island Hot Springs to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Bell Island Hot Springs to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Bell Island Hot Springs and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 195 miles [313.8 km]<1> to the north northwest (NNW). If you could drive a straight line from Bell Island Hot Springs to Juneau, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 11 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 8 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,717 miles [4,372.6 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 6 days, a buggy would take 107 days and walking would take 155 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,322 miles [10,174.3 km] and it lies to the north (N).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,063 miles [11,366.8 km] and it lies to the north (N).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,353 miles [8,614.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Bell Island Hot Springs. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Bell Island Hot Springs) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Bell Island Hot Springs. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 55.9317, Longitude: -131.5653 In this case, the coordinates for Bell Island Hot Springs have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Bell Island Hot Springs to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 348.803 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 351.801 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 333.395 degrees.||