Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Annette, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Annette and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Annette:
- 55.061667, -131.541667
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Annette
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Annette ...
We have found two communities that share the name Annette.
Within Alaska, the name Annette is unique.
Beyond Alaska, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Baldwin County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Alabama community of Annette [Baldwin County].
- Kern County
- This Annette is located in Kern County and lies 1,444 miles [2,323.9 km]<2> to the south southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Annette
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Kern County community of Annette.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Annette ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Clover Pass
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clover Pass
- Clover Pass lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the north of Annette
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clover Pass
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dairy
- Dairy lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the north of Annette
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dairy
- Herring Cove
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Herring Cove have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Herring Cove
- Herring Cove lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the north of Annette
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Herring Cove
- Mountain Point
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mountain Point have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mountain Point
- Mountain Point lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the north of Annette
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mountain Point
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Mud Bay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mud Bay have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mud Bay
- Mud Bay lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the north of Annette
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mud Bay
- Refuge Cove
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Refuge Cove have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Refuge Cove
- Refuge Cove lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the north of Annette
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Refuge Cove
- Shoreline Drive
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Shoreline Drive have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Shoreline Drive
- Shoreline Drive lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> to the north of Annette
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Shoreline Drive
How Far From Annette to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Annette to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Annette and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 248 miles [399.1 km]<2> to the north northwest (NNW). If you could drive a straight line from Annette to Juneau, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take nearly four hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 14 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 10 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,715 miles [4,369.4 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 6 days, a buggy would take 106 days and walking would take 155 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,381 miles [10,269.2 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,123 miles [11,463.4 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,407 miles [8,701.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Annette. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Annette could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Annette) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Annette. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Annette
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Annette. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 55.0617, Longitude: -131.5417 In this case, the coordinates for Annette have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Annette to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 348.777 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 351.75 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 333.461 degrees.||