Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Aniuk, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Aniuk and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Aniuk:
- 68.000000, -158.000000
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Aniuk
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
How Far From Aniuk to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Aniuk to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<1> community of Aniuk once stood, the straight-line distance<2> beginning in Aniuk and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 983 miles [1,582 km]<2> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Aniuk to Juneau, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take most of two days to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 56 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 39 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,528 miles [5,677.8 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 7 days, a buggy would take 138 days and walking would take 201 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,505 miles [8,859.4 km] and it lies to the north (N).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,188 miles [9,958.6 km] and it lies to the north northwest (NNW).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,823 miles [7,761.9 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Aniuk, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Aniuk) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Aniuk. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Aniuk
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Aniuk. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 68.0000, Longitude: -158.0000 In this case, the coordinates for Aniuk have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Aniuk to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 11.408 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 16.558 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 352.445 degrees.||