Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Angoon, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Angoon and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Angoon:
- 57.501216, -134.583943
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Angoon
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Angoon ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cannery have been provided by the GNIS.<1> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cannery
- Cannery lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the northwest of Angoon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cannery
- Cube Cove
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cube Cove have been provided by the GNIS.<1> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cube Cove
- Cube Cove lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the north of Angoon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cube Cove
- Hood Bay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hood Bay have been provided by the GNIS.<1> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hood Bay
- Hood Bay lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the southeast of Angoon
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hood Bay
How Far From Angoon to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Angoon to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Angoon and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 55 miles [88.5 km]<2> to the north (N). If you could walk a straight line from Angoon to Juneau, with an average speed<3> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take over two days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 2,835 miles [4,562.5 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take 6 days, a buggy would take 111 days and walking would take 161 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,235 miles [10,034.3 km] and it lies to the north (N).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,969 miles [11,215.5 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,305 miles [8,537.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Angoon. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Angoon) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Angoon. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Angoon
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Angoon. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 57.5012, Longitude: -134.5839
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Angoon to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 351.358 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 354.701 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 335.425 degrees.||