Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy).
When in Anchor Point, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Anchor Point and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Anchor Point:
- 59.783274, -151.842263
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Anchor Point
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Anchor Point ...
We have found one communities that share the name Anchor Point.
Within Alaska, the name Anchor Point is unique.
Beyond Alaska, there is another community also named Anchor Point in Canada.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- This Anchor Point lies 3,435 miles [5,528.1 km]<1> to the northeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Anchor Point
Curious and Interesting Names Near Anchor Point ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Aurora have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Aurora
- Aurora lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the east of Anchor Point
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Aurora
- Clam Gulch
- Diamond Ridge
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Diamond Ridge have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Diamond Ridge
- Diamond Ridge lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the southeast of Anchor Point
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Diamond Ridge
- Fritz Creek
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Halibut Cove
- Happy Valley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Happy Valley have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Happy Valley
- Happy Valley lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the north of Anchor Point
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Happy Valley
How Far From Anchor Point to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Anchor Point to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Anchor Point and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Juneau, which is the State Capital of Alaska, lies 625 miles [1,005.8 km]<1> to the east (E). If you could drive a straight line from Anchor Point to Juneau, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 36 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 25 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 3,439 miles [5,534.5 km] to the east (E). Driving would take 7 days, a buggy would take 135 days and walking would take 196 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,093 miles [9,805.7 km] and it lies to the north (N).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,783 miles [10,916.2 km] and it lies to the north (N).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,351 miles [8,611.6 km] and it lies to the north (N).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Anchor Point. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Anchor Point) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Anchor Point. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Anchor Point
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Anchor Point. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 59.7833, Longitude: -151.8423
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Anchor Point to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 6.015 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 10.967 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 348.091 degrees.||