Around Afognak ...
The largest community within a 50 mile [80 km] radius is Kodiak. It is located about 20 miles [32 km] to the southeast of where Afognak would have been located. Kodiak has a population of 5,800 people.<1>.
The next largest community is Port Lions.
It is located about 11 miles [ km] to the south of Afognak and has a population of 180 people.
The following is a sample of nearby communities: Please note that when we give a distance, it's a 'straight-line' distance .<2>
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Aleneva have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Aleneva
- Aleneva lies 5 miles [8 km]<2> to the northwest of Afognak
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Aleneva
- Aleut Village
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Aleut Village have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Aleut Village
- Aleut Village lies less than 2 miles<2> to the south of Afognak
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Aleut Village
- Port Lions
- Port Wakefield
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Port Wakefield have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Port Wakefield
- Port Wakefield lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the west of Afognak
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Port Wakefield
- Womens Bay
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Womens Bay have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Womens Bay
- Womens Bay lies 23 miles [37 km]<2> to the south of Afognak
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Womens Bay
Curious and Interesting Names Near Afognak ...
It seems like there is always a nearby community with a name that seems interesting, maybe familiar or just catches our attention in some other way. We've collected some names which strike us as being curious or interesting. Our list can be found on the Tidbits & Trivia Page for Afognak.
Airports Near Afognak ...
When a trip includes a flight, we try to find an airport that best fits our travel plans.<5> To that purpose, we've assembled a list of that are relatively close to Afognak and that information can be found on the Airports Page for Afognak.
Websites We Enjoy ...
When we're planning a trip, we like to check the following websites for sights, attractions and places to visit.
- For the State of Alaska:
- TripAdvisor Links for:
- Also of Interest:
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Alaska
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Alaska: alaska.gov/
|<1>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Afognak.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Afognak) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Afognak. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Afognak
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Afognak. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 58.0221, Longitude: -152.7652 In this case, the coordinates for Afognak have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||When we are planning a trip (for example, to Afognak), we usually look for the obvious: the choice of airlines that fly into the airport, the number of flights, the connections we have to make, which car rentals are available, etc. We also look for sights and attractions that we might find between any given airport and our destination - we do love exploring. We're willing to fly into a more distant airport if we can get the services and amenities that we like. Even though our choice of airport might be inconvenient to others, it usually gives us a better trip.|