Our Genealogy Helper for Picture Butte ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Picture Butte (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Picture Butte. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Picture Butte:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Picture Butte ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Picture Butte.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Picture Butte covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Huntsville Cemetery
- Royal View Memorial Cemetery
- Albion Ridge Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Albion Ridge Cemetery
- The Albion Ridge Cemetery is located 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the southeast of Picture Butte.More accurately, Albion Ridge Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km] to the northwest of Picture Butte.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Albion Ridge Cemetery
- St. Patrick Cemetery
- Archmount Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Archmount Cemetery
- The Archmount Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the west of Lethbridge.To be more accurate, Archmount Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the southwest of Picture Butte.
- Archmount Cemetery has also been known as:
- Archmount Memorial Garden
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Archmount Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2146605<1>
- Mountain View Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Bowville Cemetery
- Orton Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Orton Cemetery
- Orton Cemetery lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> to the southwest of Picture Butte.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Orton Cemetery
- Barnwell Cemetery
- Enchant Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Enchant Cemetery
- Enchant Cemetery lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the northeast of Picture Butte.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Enchant Cemetery
- Retlaw Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Retlaw Cemetery
- Retlaw Cemetery lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the northeast of Picture Butte.
- Retlaw Cemetery has also been known as:
- Retlaw Municipal Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Retlaw Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2447796<1>
- Temple Hill Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Temple Hill Cemetery
- Temple Hill Cemetery lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the south of Picture Butte.
- Temple Hill Cemetery has also been known as:
- Raymond Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Temple Hill Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2248933<1>
- Stirling Memorial Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Stirling Memorial Cemetery
- Stirling Memorial Cemetery lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the southeast of Picture Butte.
- Stirling Memorial Cemetery has also been known as:
- Stirling Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Stirling Memorial Cemetery
- Union Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Union Cemetery
- Union Cemetery lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the west of Picture Butte.
- Union Cemetery has also been known as:
- Ft. MacLeod
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Union Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #1968318<1>
- Holy Cross Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Holy Cross Cemetery
- Holy Cross Cemetery lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the west of Picture Butte.
- Holy Cross Cemetery has also been known as:
- Ft. MacLeod Holy Cross Cemetery
- Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Holy Cross Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2427812<1>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Picture Butte. See our List of 1890's Communities around Picture Butte.
Miscellaneous References and Mentions for Picture Butte ...
While our initial data about Picture Butte came from various goverment sources, we have found mention of Picture Butte in old books and maps. When we do, we'll find a fact here or a snippet there. We've created the following list to keep track of the documents we found useful in adding to our knowledge about Picture Butte.
We hope that the following list of documents will be of interest to you.
SPV's Comprehensive Railroad Atlas of North America - Western Canada
(Available from Amazon.com)
Written by: Walker, Mike
Published by Steam Powered Video (SPV), 2006
Shell Oil Road Map for Southern Alberta (1951)
Published by Shell Oil Company
for Picture Butte. See our Misc Page for Picture Butte for more information.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Picture Butte: www.town.picturebutte.ab.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Picture Butte) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Picture Butte. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Picture ButteOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Picture Butte. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.8760, Longitude: -112.7798 |