Welcome to Metis ...
Although we found mention of Metis during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Metis was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Metis to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Metis, please Contact Us.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Metis might be (or was) located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
We believe that Metis would be found within the (780) and (587)<2> area codes.
Communities near Metis ...
We have created a list of 6 communities that are near Metis.
- Paddle Prairie
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Paddle Prairie
- Paddle Prairie lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the south of Metis
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Paddle Prairie came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Paddle Prairie
- Keg River
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Keg River
- Keg River lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<3> to the southwest of Metis
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Keg River came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Keg River
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Keg River<5>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Carcajou
- Carcajou lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<3> to the southeast of Metis
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Carcajou came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Carcajou
- Bushe River 207
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bushe River 207
- Bushe River 207 lies 34 miles [54.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Metis
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bushe River 207 came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bushe River 207
- High Level
- La Crete
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for La Crete
- La Crete lies 40 miles [64.4 km]<3> to the east of Metis
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for La Crete came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on La Crete
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for La Crete<5>
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Metis ...
Looking for more information about Metis? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Metis, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Metis.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Metis and then turned east". While Metis could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Metis as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Metis could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (780).|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Metis) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Metis. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 58.0376, Longitude: -117.4824 |
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|