Our Genealogy Helper for Lamerton ...
Although we found mention of Lamerton during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Lamerton was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Lamerton (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Lamerton. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Lamerton:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Lamerton ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Lamerton.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Lamerton covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Mirror Cemetery
- Bashaw Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bashaw Cemetery
- Bashaw Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Lamerton.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bashaw Cemetery
- Alix Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Alix Cemetery
- The Alix Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the northeast of Alix.Alix Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the southwest of Lamerton.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Alix Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2298412<2>
- Tees Cemetery
- Calumet Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Calumet Cemetery
- Calumet Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<3> to the northwest of Lamerton.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Calumet Cemetery
- St. Michael RC Cemetery
- St. Peter's Lutheran Cemetery
- Earlville Rutherford Cemetery
- Liberal Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Liberal Cemetery
- Liberal Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<3> to the southeast of Lamerton.
- Liberal Cemetery has also been known as:
- Liberal Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Liberal Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2432001<2>
- Great Bend Cemetery
- Tail Creek Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Tail Creek Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Tail Creek Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Tail Creek Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<3> to the south of Lamerton.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tail Creek Cemetery
- Erskine Cemetery
- Continue List (58 more) ...
- Dorenlee Cemetery
- Littlerock Cemetery
- Meeting Creek Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Lamerton. See our List of 1890's Communities around Lamerton.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Find a Community within Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Lamerton and then turned west". While Lamerton could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Lamerton as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Lamerton could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Alberta community named Lamerton.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Lamerton) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Lamerton. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 52.5000, Longitude: -113.0833 |
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|