Our Genealogy Helper for Gayford ...
Although we found mention of Gayford during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Gayford was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Gayford (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Gayford. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Gayford:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Gayford ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Gayford.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Gayford covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Beisker Level Land Seventh-day Adventist Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Beisker Level Land Seventh-day Adventist Cemetery
- Beisker Level Land Seventh-day Adventist Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the north of Gayford.
- Beisker Level Land Seventh-day Adventist Cemetery has also been known as:
- Rosebud Seventh-day Adventist Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beisker Level Land Seventh-day Adventist Cemetery
- Strathmore Cemetery
- Zion United Cemetery
- Standard Cemetery
- Rosebud Cemetery
- Acme Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Acme Cemetery
- The Acme Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the northwest of Acme.Stated another way, Acme Cemetery lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<2> to the north of Gayford.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Acme Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2295690<3>
- Continue List ...
- Swalwell Cemetery
- Rocky View Garden of Peace Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Rocky View Garden of Peace Cemetery
- Rocky View Garden of Peace Cemetery lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the southwest of Gayford.
- Rocky View Garden of Peace Cemetery has also been known as:
- Garden of Peace Cemetery
- Rockyview Garden of Peace Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rocky View Garden of Peace Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2131236<3>
- Mountain View Memorial Gardens
- Dalemead Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Dalemead Cemetery
- Dalemead Cemetery lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the southwest of Gayford.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dalemead Cemetery
- Gleichen Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Gleichen Cemetery
- Gleichen Cemetery lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the southeast of Gayford.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gleichen Cemetery
- Airdrie Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Gayford. See our List of 1890's Communities around Gayford.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Gayford and then turned west". While Gayford could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Gayford as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Gayford could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Alberta community named Gayford.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Gayford) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Gayford. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.2126, Longitude: -113.3539 |
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|