Our Genealogy Helper for Buford ...
Although we found mention of Buford during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Buford was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Buford (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Buford. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Buford:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Buford ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Buford.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Buford covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Calmar Community Cemetery
- Ressurection Park Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Ressurection Park Cemetery
- Ressurection Park Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the south of Buford.
- Ressurection Park Cemetery has also been known as:
- Resurrection Park / Jehovah Witness Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ressurection Park Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2464415<3>
- Peace Cemetery
- Holy Trinity RC Cemetery
- St. Mary's Russian Greek Orthodox Cemetery
- Fisherton Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Fisherton Cemetery
- Fisherton Cemetery lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the southwest of Buford.
- Fisherton Cemetery has also been known as:
- Fisherton Community Cemetery
- Fisherton / Rundle's Mission Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fisherton Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2580726<3>
- Continue List ...
- Inga Community Cemetery
- Leduc Municipal Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Leduc Municipal Cemetery
- Leduc Municipal Cemetery lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the east of Buford.
- Leduc Municipal Cemetery has also been known as:
- Leduc Cemetery
- Leduc Public Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Leduc Municipal Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2184321<3>
- Wiesenthal Baptist Church Cemetery
- Heimtal Moravian Cemetery
- Rosehill Cemetery
- Fredericksheim Baptist Cemetery
- Dalby Swedish Lutheran Cemetery
- Emmaus Lutheran Church Cemetery
- St. Norbert's Catholic Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Buford. See our List of 1890's Communities around Buford.
Miscellaneous References and Mentions for Buford ...
With our Gazetteer, we add the names of communities whenever we see them mentioned - frequently found in old books or maps. Usually we don't have any details that go with the name, but we'll eventually find documents that will give us a fact here or a snippet there. We've created the following list to keep track of the documents we found useful in adding to our knowledge about Buford.
We hope that the following list of documents will be of interest to you.
SPV's Comprehensive Railroad Atlas of North America - Western Canada
(Available from Amazon.com)
Written by: Walker, Mike
Published by Steam Powered Video (SPV), 2006
for Buford. See our Misc Page for Buford for more information.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Buford and then turned west". While Buford could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Buford as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Buford could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Alberta community named Buford.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Buford) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Buford. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from BufordOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Buford. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.2500, Longitude: -113.9167 |
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|