Our Genealogy Helper for Barons ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Barons (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Barons. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first turn to the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Barons:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- At this time (Dec 2022), GenDisasters website is currently offline due to a hacker attack. Hopefully they will be back soon.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Barons ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Barons.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Barons covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Albion Ridge Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Albion Ridge Cemetery
- The Albion Ridge Cemetery is located 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the southeast of Picture Butte.To be more precise, Albion Ridge Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km] to the east of Barons.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Albion Ridge Cemetery
- Bowville Cemetery
- Alston Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Alston Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Alston Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- The Alston Cemetery is located 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the southeast of Carmangay.Alston Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km] to the northwest of Barons.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Alston Cemetery
- Orton Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Orton Cemetery
- Orton Cemetery lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the southwest of Barons.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Orton Cemetery
- Five Mile Peace Lutheran Cemetery
- Champion Cemetery
- Huntsville Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Huntsville Cemetery
- Huntsville Cemetery lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the east of Barons.
- Huntsville Cemetery has also been known as:
- Iron Springs Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Huntsville Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2424500<2>
- Royal View Memorial Cemetery
- Granum Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Granum Cemetery
- The Granum Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the northwest of Granum.More precisely, Granum Cemetery lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the west of Barons.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Granum Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2225492<2>
- Archmount Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Archmount Cemetery
- The Archmount Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the west of Lethbridge.To be more precise, Archmount Cemetery lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the southeast of Barons.
- Archmount Cemetery has also been known as:
- Archmount Memorial Garden
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Archmount Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2146605<2>
- St. Patrick Cemetery
- Union Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Union Cemetery
- The Union Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the northeast of Fort MacLeod.More accurately, Union Cemetery lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the southwest of Barons.
- Union Cemetery has also been known as:
- Ft. MacLeod
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Union Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #1968318<2>
- Continue List (16 more) ...
- Holy Cross Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Holy Cross Cemetery
- The Holy Cross Cemetery is located outside and to the northeast of Fort MacLeod.Stated another way, Holy Cross Cemetery lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the southwest of Barons.
- Holy Cross Cemetery has also been known as:
- Ft. MacLeod Holy Cross Cemetery
- Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Holy Cross Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2427812<2>
- Claresholm Cemetery
- Mountain View Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mountain View Cemetery
- The Mountain View Cemetery is a very large cemetery that is located outside and to the southwest of Lethbridge.More accurately, Mountain View Cemetery lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the southeast of Barons.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mountain View Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2146604<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Barons. See our List of 1890's Communities around Barons.
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Barons. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Barons) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Barons. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from BaronsOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Barons. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.9833, Longitude: -113.0833 |
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|