Glossary and Definitions ...
- Area Code Overlay
- An Overlay refers to the situation in which two (or more) area codes (eg- 534, 715) serve the same geographic area. In the case of White River, area code (534) is the Overlay for area code (715).
The Overlay is necessary when the geographic area requires (or expects to need) more phone numbers than can be provided by a single area code.
When an Overlay is present, 10-digit dialing becomes necessary even for local calls. There are different types of Overlays, with each of the different Overlays having its own characteristics and dialing requirements.
If you would like to learn more about Overlays, we suggest the Wikipedia entry for Overlays.
- FIPS Codes
- In the past, the federal government created a set of codes that are used to uniquely identify States, Counties and Populated Places (such as a community like White River). These codes form the Federal Information Processing Standard. (specifically FIPS Document 55-3).
The State Code consists of two digits, the County Code consists of three digits and the Place Code consists of five digits. The County and Place Codes must be used together with the State Code to be truly unique.
For example, the following codes apply to the community of White River:
- State Code: 55 (Wisconsin)
- State / County Code: 55 / 003 (Ashland County)
- State / Place Code: 55 / 86825
The FIPS Codes have been replaced by an ANSI standard and the GNIS Feature ID. Although obsolete, the FIPS Codes are still in use by some organizations.
For more information about the FIPS Codes, please visit our Misc Page for White River.
- GNIS Codes
- The function of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) is to establish uniform names for geographic features (eg- communities, mountains, lakes, rivers, streams, etc). The BGN was created to address the problems caused by spelling and naming variations. BGN–accepted names are kept in a database called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS), which is operated and maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).
A unique and permanent identifier has been assigned for each feature in the GNIS database. These names and identifiers are definitive.
White River has been given the GNIS Feature ID of '1577884'. Click here to see the GNIS Record for White River.