Welcome to Childs Mines ...
Although we found mention of Childs Mines during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Childs Mines was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Childs Mines to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Childs Mines, please Contact Us.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Childs Mines might be (or was) located is in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: EST- Heure Normale de l'Est (HNE), EDT- Heure Avancée de l'Est (HAE).
We believe that Childs Mines would be found within the (613) & (343)<2> area codes.
Communities near Childs Mines ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Childs Mines.
- Bowen Corner
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bowen Corner
- Bowen Corner lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the west of Childs Mines
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bowen Corner
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hartsmere
- Hartsmere lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the east of Childs Mines
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hartsmere came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hartsmere
- Egan Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Egan Creek
- Egan Creek lies 5 miles [8 km]<3> to the southwest of Childs Mines
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Egan Creek
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Detlor
- Detlor lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the southwest of Childs Mines
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Detlor
- Fort Stewart
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fort Stewart
- Fort Stewart lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the north of Childs Mines
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fort Stewart came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fort Stewart
- Nobbs Siding
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nobbs Siding
- Nobbs Siding lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the southwest of Childs Mines
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Nobbs Siding came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nobbs Siding
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bronson
- Bronson lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the west of Childs Mines
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bronson
- Caverlys Landing
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Turriff
- Turriff lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the southwest of Childs Mines
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Turriff came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Turriff
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Childs Mines ...
Looking for more information about Childs Mines? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Childs Mines, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Childs Mines.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Ontario
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Childs Mines and then turned west". While Childs Mines could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Childs Mines as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Childs Mines could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Area code (343) is an overlay for area code (613).|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Childs Mines) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Childs Mines. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Childs Mines
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Childs Mines. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.0769, Longitude: -77.6142
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|