Our Genealogy Helper for Bobs Lake ...
Although we found mention of Bobs Lake during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Bobs Lake was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Bobs Lake (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Bobs Lake. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Name Variations for Bobs Lake ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Various errors happen - anything from simple spelling to bad translations, abbreviations or people who just guessed at the name.
- A typical abbreviation for Bobs Lake: Bobs Lk.
- While the name of this community is Bobs Lake, be aware that it's the common practice of mapmakers to remove the apostrophe from possessive names<2>. So Bobs Lake may originally have been Bob's Lake.
Sometimes the trailing 's' might be dropped altogether, in which case Bobs Lake might be written as Bob Lake.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Bobs Lake:
- Websites specific to Ontario
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Ontario
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from New York
- Stories from Ontario
Cemeteries Near Bobs Lake ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Bobs Lake.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Bobs Lake covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Parham Village Cemetery
- Oconto Cemetery
- Wagarville Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Wagarville Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Wagarville Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wagarville Cemetery
- Echo Lake Cemetery
- Bethel Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bethel Cemetery
- Bethel Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the south of Bobs Lake.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bethel Cemetery
- Piccadilly Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Desert Lake Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Desert Lake Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Desert Lake Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- The Desert Lake Cemetery is located in the vicinity of Desert LakeTo be more precise, Desert Lake Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the south of Bobs Lake.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Desert Lake Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2334371<3>
- St. Edward's Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Edward's Cemetery
- St. Edward's Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the east of Bobs Lake.
- St. Edward's Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Edward RC Cemetery
- St. Edward's RC Cemetery
- St. Edward's Westport RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Edward's Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2332662<3>
- Mountain Grove Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mountain Grove Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Mountain Grove Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Mountain Grove Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<5> to the northwest of Bobs Lake.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mountain Grove Cemetery
- Mountain Grove (Olden) Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mountain Grove (Olden) Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Mountain Grove (Olden) Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Mountain Grove (Olden) Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<5> to the northwest of Bobs Lake.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mountain Grove (Olden) Cemetery
- Olden Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Olden Cemetery
- Olden Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<5> to the northwest of Bobs Lake.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Olden Cemetery
- Olden Pioneer Cemetery
- St. John's Anglican Cemetery
- Verona Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Verona Cemetery
- Verona Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<5> to the south of Bobs Lake.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Verona Cemetery
- Knox Presbyterian Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Knox Presbyterian Cemetery
- Knox Presbyterian Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the east of Bobs Lake.
- Knox Presbyterian Cemetery has also been known as:
- Knox Presbyterian Church Cemetery
- Westport Presbyterian Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Knox Presbyterian Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2333479<3>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Bobs Lake. See our List of 1890's Communities around Bobs Lake.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Ontario
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Bobs Lake and then turned east". While Bobs Lake could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Bobs Lake as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Bobs Lake could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Ontario community named Bobs Lake.
|<2>||It's generally believed that possessive apostrophes are removed to prevent confusion on maps where the apostrophe may be confused with a cartographic symbol. While this is generally true, it's not uncommon to find possessive apostrophes in administrative names (such as towns or counties).|
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Bobs Lake) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Bobs Lake. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.6453, Longitude: -76.6525