Welcome to Birchwood ...
Although we found mention of Birchwood during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Birchwood was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Birchwood to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Birchwood, please Contact Us.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Birchwood might be (or was) located is in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: EST- Heure Normale de l'Est (HNE), EDT- Heure Avancée de l'Est (HAE).
Communities Also Named Birchwood ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 17 communities that are also named Birchwood - they are located in Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan (2), Minnesota, New York, North Carolina (2), Tennessee (3), Washington and Wisconsin (2).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Birchwood.
Communities near Birchwood ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Birchwood.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Brampton
- Brampton lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the northwest of Birchwood
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Brampton came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brampton
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Brampton<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oakville
- Oakville lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the south of Birchwood
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Oakville came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oakville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Oakville<3>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fairview
- Fairview lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the north of Birchwood
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fairview
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Falgarwood
- Falgarwood lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the southwest of Birchwood
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Falgarwood
- Holton Heights
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Holton Heights
- Holton Heights lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the southwest of Birchwood
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Holton Heights
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Snider
- Snider lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the west of Birchwood
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Snider came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Snider
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Birchwood ...
Looking for more information about Birchwood? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Birchwood, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Birchwood.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Ontario
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Birchwood and then turned west". While Birchwood could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Birchwood as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Birchwood could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Birchwood) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Birchwood. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.5269, Longitude: -79.6283
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|