Welcome to Aurora ...
When the people of Aurora refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Auroran<1>
The town of Aurora was established in 1854.
Aurora is 900 feet [274 m] above sea level.<2>.
Time Zone: Aurora lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: EST- Heure Normale de l'Est (HNE), EDT- Heure Avancée de l'Est (HAE).
Telephone area codes for Aurora: (289)<3>, (365) & (905).
The Canadian Postal Code for Aurora: L4G<4>
Websites for Aurora ...
Official Website: www.town.aurora.on.ca/
Chamber of Commerce: www.aurorachamber.on.ca/
Communities Also Named Aurora ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 44 communities that are also named Aurora - they are located in Alabama, Alaska (2), Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida (2), Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa (2), Kansas (7), Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota (2), Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico (3), New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas (2), Utah, West Virginia, Wisconsin (2) and Wyoming.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Aurora.
Communities near Aurora ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Aurora.
- Richmond Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Richmond Hill
- Richmond Hill lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the south of Aurora
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Richmond Hill came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Richmond Hill
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Richmond Hill<6>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kettleby
- Kettleby lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the west of Aurora
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Kettleby came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kettleby
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pleasantville
- Pleasantville lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the northeast of Aurora
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pleasantville
- Preston Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Preston Lake
- Preston Lake lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the east of Aurora
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Preston Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bethesda
- Bethesda lies 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the east of Aurora
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Bethesda. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bethesda
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gormley
- Gormley lies 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the southeast of Aurora
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gormley
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Aurora ...
Looking for more information about Aurora? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Aurora, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Aurora.
Adding Aurora to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Aurora was on a map titled Road Map for Ontario (from Shell Oil, 1955).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Aurora on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Ontario Community
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Aurora: www.town.aurora.on.ca/
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Aurora refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a town's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Aurora may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Aurora - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||Of the area codes for Aurora, area code (289, 365) is an overlay.|
|<4>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Aurora, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Aurora). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Aurora or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Aurora) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Aurora. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AuroraOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Aurora. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.0000, Longitude: -79.4667 |
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<8>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|