Our Genealogy Helper for Smiths Cove ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Smiths Cove (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Smiths Cove. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Smiths Cove ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
- A typical abbreviation for Smiths Cove: Smiths Cv.
- While the name of this community is Smiths Cove, be aware that it's the common practice of mapmakers to remove the apostrophe from possessive names<1>. So Smiths Cove may originally have been Smith's Cove.
Sometimes the trailing 's' might be dropped altogether, in which case Smiths Cove might be written as Smith Cove.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first visit the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Smiths Cove:
- Websites specific to Nova Scotia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Nova Scotia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Nova Scotia
Cemeteries Near Smiths Cove ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Smiths Cove.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Smiths Cove covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Mt. Hope Cemetery
- Waldeck West Cemetery
- Waldeck East Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Waldeck East Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Waldeck East Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Waldeck East Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2174186<2>
- Hillgrove United Baptist Church Cemetery
- Clementsville Cemetery
- St. Patrick's Anglican Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Forest Hill Anglican Cemetery
- Woodlawn Baptist Cemetery
- Victory Cemetery
- Old St. Edward Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Old St. Edward Church Cemetery
- Old St. Edward Church Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the north of Smiths Cove.
- Old St. Edward Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Old St. Edward's Anglican Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Old St. Edward Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2212232<2>
- United Church of Canada Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the United Church of Canada Cemetery
- United Church of Canada Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the north of Smiths Cove.
- United Church of Canada Cemetery has also been known as:
- Clementsport United Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on United Church of Canada Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2483521<2>
- St. Patricks Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Patricks Cemetery
- St. Patricks Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the northwest of Smiths Cove.
- St. Patricks Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Patrick's RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Patricks Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2566335<2>
- Fairview Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Fairview Cemetery
- Fairview Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the northwest of Smiths Cove.
- Fairview Cemetery has also been known as:
- Fairview United Cemetery
- Grace United Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fairview Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2221030<2>
- Port Wade United Baptist Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Port Wade United Baptist Church Cemetery
- Port Wade United Baptist Church Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the north of Smiths Cove.
- Port Wade United Baptist Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Port Wade Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Port Wade United Baptist Church Cemetery
- Goat Island Baptist Church Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Smiths Cove. See our List of 1890's Communities around Smiths Cove.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Nova Scotia
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Smiths Cove. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||It's generally believed that possessive apostrophes are removed to prevent confusion on maps where the apostrophe may be confused with a cartographic symbol. While this is generally true, it's not uncommon to find possessive apostrophes in administrative names (such as towns or counties).|
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Smiths Cove) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Smiths Cove. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Smiths CoveOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Smiths Cove. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.5535, Longitude: -65.6539 |