Our Genealogy Helper for Cooks Cove ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Cooks Cove (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Cooks Cove. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Cooks Cove ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
- A typical abbreviation for Cooks Cove: Cooks Cv.
- While the name of this community is Cooks Cove, be aware that it's the common practice of mapmakers to remove the apostrophe from possessive names<1>. So Cooks Cove may originally have been Cook's Cove.
Sometimes the trailing 's' might be dropped altogether, in which case Cooks Cove might be written as Cook Cove.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first turn to the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Cooks Cove:
- Websites specific to Nova Scotia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Nova Scotia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Nova Scotia
Cemeteries Near Cooks Cove ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Cooks Cove.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Cooks Cove covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Christ Church Anglican Cemetery
- Evergreen Cemetery, Guysborough
- Manchester Cemetery
- Boylston Baptist Church Cemetery
- Boylston United Cemetery
- St. Paul's Anglican Church Cemetery, Boylston
- Continue List ...
- St. James The Martyr Anglican Church Cemetery
- St. Joseph's RC Cemetery
- St. Vincent DePaul RC Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Vincent DePaul RC Cemetery
- St. Vincent DePaul RC Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<3> to the east of Cooks Cove.
- St. Vincent DePaul RC Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Vincent De Paul RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Vincent DePaul RC Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2525011<2>
- St. Francis Harbour RC Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Francis Harbour RC Cemetery
- St. Francis Harbour RC Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<3> to the northeast of Cooks Cove.
- St. Francis Harbour RC Cemetery has also been known as:
- Catholic Church of St. Francis of Assisi
- St. Francis Harbour Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Francis Harbour RC Cemetery
- St. Monica's Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Monica's Cemetery
- St. Monica's Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the north of Cooks Cove.
- St. Monica's Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Monica's RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Monica's Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2572673<2>
- New Harbour United Baptist Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the New Harbour United Baptist Cemetery
- New Harbour United Baptist Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the south of Cooks Cove.
- New Harbour United Baptist Cemetery has also been known as:
- New Harbour Baptist Cemetery
- New Harbour Baptist Church Cemetery
- Riverside Cemetery, New Harbour
- Jump to Google Maps centered on New Harbour United Baptist Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2536082<2>
- St. Peter's Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Peter's Cemetery
- St. Peter's Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the southeast of Cooks Cove.
- St. Peter's Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Peter's Church Cemetery
- St. Peter's RC Church Cemetery
- St. Peter's / St. Pierre Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Peter's Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2458379<2>
- Christ Church Queensport Anglican Cemetery
- Union Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Cooks Cove. See our List of 1890's Communities around Cooks Cove.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Nova Scotia
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Cooks Cove. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||It's generally believed that possessive apostrophes are removed to prevent confusion on maps where the apostrophe may be confused with a cartographic symbol. While this is generally true, it's not uncommon to find possessive apostrophes in administrative names (such as towns or counties).|
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Cooks Cove) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Cooks Cove. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Cooks Cove
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cooks Cove. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.3631, Longitude: -61.4872