Our Genealogy Helper for Central Woods Harbour ...
Although we found mention of Central Woods Harbour during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Central Woods Harbour was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Central Woods Harbour (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Central Woods Harbour. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Central Woods Harbour ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
For example, a typical abbreviation for Central Woods Harbour: Central Woods Hbr. (or less commonly used: Central Woods Harb. or Central Woods Hrbr.)
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Central Woods Harbour:
- Websites specific to Nova Scotia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Nova Scotia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Nova Scotia
Cemeteries Near Central Woods Harbour ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Central Woods Harbour.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Central Woods Harbour covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Greenwood Cemetery
- Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
- Green Cove Cemetery
- Birch Hill Cemetery
- Hill Side Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hill Side Cemetery
- Hill Side Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the east of Central Woods Harbour.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hill Side Cemetery
- Newellton Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Newellton Cemetery
- Newellton Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the southeast of Central Woods Harbour.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Newellton Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Centreville Cemetery
- Old Acadian Cemetery
- Old Meeting House Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Old Meeting House Cemetery
- Old Meeting House Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the east of Central Woods Harbour.
- Old Meeting House Cemetery has also been known as:
- Barrington River Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Old Meeting House Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2327684<2>
- River Dale Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the River Dale Cemetery
- River Dale Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the east of Central Woods Harbour.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on River Dale Cemetery
- Oakvale Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Oakvale Cemetery
- Oakvale Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the southeast of Central Woods Harbour.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oakvale Cemetery
- St. Pierre Parish Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Pierre Parish Cemetery
- St. Pierre Parish Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the northwest of Central Woods Harbour.
- St. Pierre Parish Cemetery has also been known as:
- Eglise Saint-Pierre Cemetery
- Middle West Pubnico Church Cemetery
- St. Peter's Parish Cemetery
- St. Peter's Parish Cemetery
- St. Pierre Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Pierre Parish Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2265194<2>
- Old Methodist Church Cemetery
- The Atlantic Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the The Atlantic Cemetery
- The Atlantic Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<3> to the southeast of Central Woods Harbour.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on The Atlantic Cemetery
- Woodside Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Central Woods Harbour. See our List of 1890's Communities around Central Woods Harbour.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Nova Scotia
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Central Woods Harbour and then turned east". While Central Woods Harbour could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Central Woods Harbour as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Central Woods Harbour could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Nova Scotia community named Central Woods Harbour.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Central Woods Harbour) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Central Woods Harbour. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.5433, Longitude: -65.7336