Our Genealogy Helper for Buchanans Mountain ...
Although we found mention of Buchanans Mountain during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Buchanans Mountain was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Buchanans Mountain (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Buchanans Mountain. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Buchanans Mountain ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
- A typical abbreviation for Buchanans Mountain: Buchanans Mtn. (or less commonly used: Buchanans Mntn.)
- While the name of this community is Buchanans Mountain, be aware that it's the common practice of mapmakers to remove the apostrophe from possessive names<2>. So Buchanans Mountain may originally have been Buchanan's Mountain.
Sometimes the trailing 's' might be dropped altogether, in which case Buchanans Mountain might be written as Buchanan Mountain.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first turn to the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Buchanans Mountain:
- Websites specific to Nova Scotia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Nova Scotia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Nova Scotia
Cemeteries Near Buchanans Mountain ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Buchanans Mountain.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Buchanans Mountain covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Stormont Cemetery
- Isaac's Harbour Pioneer Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Isaac's Harbour Pioneer Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Isaac's Harbour Pioneer Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Isaac's Harbour Pioneer Cemetery has also been known as:
- Pioneer Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Isaac's Harbour Pioneer Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2414915<3>
- Isaac's Harbour Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Isaac's Harbour Cemetery
- Isaac's Harbour Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the south of Buchanans Mountain.
- Isaac's Harbour Cemetery has also been known as:
- Isaac's Harbour Baptist Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Isaac's Harbour Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2407146<3>
- Issac's Harbour United Baptist Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Issac's Harbour United Baptist Church Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Issac's Harbour United Baptist Church Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Issac's Harbour United Baptist Church Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the south of Buchanans Mountain.
- Issac's Harbour United Baptist Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- United Baptist Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Issac's Harbour United Baptist Church Cemetery
- St. Paul's Anglican Church Cemetery, Bickerton
- Hillside Cemetery, Seal Harbour
- Continue List ...
- Seaside Cemetery
- New Harbour United Baptist Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the New Harbour United Baptist Cemetery
- New Harbour United Baptist Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the southeast of Buchanans Mountain.
- New Harbour United Baptist Cemetery has also been known as:
- New Harbour Baptist Cemetery
- New Harbour Baptist Church Cemetery
- Riverside Cemetery, New Harbour
- Jump to Google Maps centered on New Harbour United Baptist Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2536082<3>
- Christ Church Anglican Cemetery
- Evergreen Cemetery, Guysborough
- Fisherman's Harbour Cemetery
- Evergreen Cemetery, Cross Roads
- Hillside Cemetery, Port Bickerton
- St. Paul's Anglican Cemetery
- Boylston Baptist Church Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Buchanans Mountain. See our List of 1890's Communities around Buchanans Mountain.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Nova Scotia
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Buchanans Mountain and then turned east". While Buchanans Mountain could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Buchanans Mountain as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Buchanans Mountain could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Nova Scotia community named Buchanans Mountain.
|<2>||It's generally believed that possessive apostrophes are removed to prevent confusion on maps where the apostrophe may be confused with a cartographic symbol. While this is generally true, it's not uncommon to find possessive apostrophes in administrative names (such as towns or counties).|
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Buchanans Mountain) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Buchanans Mountain. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.2781, Longitude: -61.6564