Our Genealogy Helper for Blacketts Lake ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Blacketts Lake (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Blacketts Lake. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Blacketts Lake ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
- A typical abbreviation for Blacketts Lake: Blacketts Lk.
- While the name of this community is Blacketts Lake, be aware that it's the common practice of mapmakers to remove the apostrophe from possessive names<1>. So Blacketts Lake may originally have been Blackett's Lake.
Sometimes the trailing 's' might be dropped altogether, in which case Blacketts Lake might be written as Blackett Lake.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Blacketts Lake:
- Websites specific to Nova Scotia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Nova Scotia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Nova Scotia
Cemeteries Near Blacketts Lake ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Blacketts Lake.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Blacketts Lake covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Resurrection Cemetery
- Alfred Smith Memorial Cemetery
- MacKenzie Cemetery
- Our Lady of Fatima Cemetery
- Cape Breton Hospital Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Cape Breton Hospital Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Cape Breton Hospital Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cape Breton Hospital Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2561386<2>
- St. Mark's Anglican Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery
- Membertou Memorial Gardens
- Holy Rosary Cemetery
- Upper Leitches Creek / Calvin United Church Cemetery
- St. Mary's RC Cemetery
- Hardwood Hill Cemetery
- Holy Cross Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Holy Cross Cemetery
- Holy Cross Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Blacketts Lake.
- Holy Cross Cemetery has also been known as:
- Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Holy Cross Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2659906<2>
- Sacred Heart Catholic Parish Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Sacred Heart Catholic Parish Cemetery
- Sacred Heart Catholic Parish Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Blacketts Lake.
- Sacred Heart Catholic Parish Cemetery has also been known as:
- Sacred Heart Catholic Church Cemetery
- Sacred Heart Parish Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sacred Heart Catholic Parish Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2468881<2>
- St. George's Anglican Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. George's Anglican Church Cemetery
- St. George's Anglican Church Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Blacketts Lake.
- St. George's Anglican Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. George's Anglican Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. George's Anglican Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2396383<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Blacketts Lake. See our List of 1890's Communities around Blacketts Lake.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Nova Scotia
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Blacketts Lake. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||It's generally believed that possessive apostrophes are removed to prevent confusion on maps where the apostrophe may be confused with a cartographic symbol. While this is generally true, it's not uncommon to find possessive apostrophes in administrative names (such as towns or counties).|
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Blacketts Lake) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Blacketts Lake. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Blacketts Lake
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Blacketts Lake. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.0764, Longitude: -60.2981
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|