Our Genealogy Helper for Black River Lake ...
Although we found mention of Black River Lake during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Black River Lake was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Black River Lake (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Black River Lake. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Black River Lake ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
For example, a typical abbreviation for Black River Lake: Black Riv. Lk.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Black River Lake:
- Websites specific to Nova Scotia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Nova Scotia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Nova Scotia
Cemeteries Near Black River Lake ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Black River Lake.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Black River Lake covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Black River Cemetery
- Gaspereau Cemetery
- Bishopville Cemetery
- Willowbank Cemetery
- Blue Mtn. Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Blue Mtn. Cemetery
- Blue Mtn. Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the southwest of Black River Lake.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blue Mtn. Cemetery
- Chipmans Corner Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Fox Hill Cemetery
- Falmouth Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Falmouth Cemetery
- Falmouth Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<3> to the east of Black River Lake.
- Falmouth Cemetery has also been known as:
- Centre Falmouth Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Falmouth Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2433708<2>
- Lockhartville Cemetery
- Elm Grove Cemetery
- Holy Cross Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Holy Cross Cemetery
- Holy Cross Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<3> to the northwest of Black River Lake.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Holy Cross Cemetery
- Jawbone Corner Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Jawbone Corner Cemetery
- Jawbone Corner Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the north of Black River Lake.
- Jawbone Corner Cemetery has also been known as:
- Canard Cemetery
- Jaw Bone Corner Cemetery
- Jawbone Corner / Canard Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jawbone Corner Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2212324<2>
- Upper Canard Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Upper Canard Cemetery
- Upper Canard Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the northwest of Black River Lake.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Upper Canard Cemetery
- St. John The Evangelist Cemetery
- Mt. Denson Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mt. Denson Cemetery
- Mt. Denson Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Black River Lake.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mt. Denson Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Black River Lake. See our List of 1890's Communities around Black River Lake.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Nova Scotia
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Black River Lake and then turned west". While Black River Lake could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Black River Lake as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Black River Lake could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Nova Scotia community named Black River Lake.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Black River Lake) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Black River Lake. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Black River Lake
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Black River Lake. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.9781, Longitude: -64.3792