Our Genealogy Helper for Black Georges Savannah ...
Although we found mention of Black Georges Savannah during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Black Georges Savannah was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Black Georges Savannah (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Black Georges Savannah. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Black Georges Savannah ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
While the name of this community is Black Georges Savannah, be aware that it's the common practice of mapmakers to remove the apostrophe from possessive names<2>. So Black Georges Savannah may originally have been Black George's Savannah.
Sometimes the trailing 's' might be dropped altogether, in which case Black Georges Savannah might be written as Black George Savannah.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Black Georges Savannah:
- Websites specific to Nova Scotia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Nova Scotia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Nova Scotia
Cemeteries Near Black Georges Savannah ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Black Georges Savannah.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Black Georges Savannah covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- River Dale Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the River Dale Cemetery
- River Dale Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the southeast of Black Georges Savannah.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on River Dale Cemetery
- Old Acadian Cemetery
- Green Cove Cemetery
- Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
- Mt. Pleasant Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the southwest of Black Georges Savannah.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
- Hill Side Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hill Side Cemetery
- Hill Side Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the southeast of Black Georges Savannah.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hill Side Cemetery
- Old Meeting House Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Old Meeting House Cemetery
- Old Meeting House Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the southeast of Black Georges Savannah.
- Old Meeting House Cemetery has also been known as:
- Barrington River Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Old Meeting House Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2327684<4>
- Continue List ...
- Old Methodist Church Cemetery
- St. Pierre Parish Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Pierre Parish Cemetery
- St. Pierre Parish Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the west of Black Georges Savannah.
- St. Pierre Parish Cemetery has also been known as:
- Eglise Saint-Pierre Cemetery
- Middle West Pubnico Church Cemetery
- St. Peter's Parish Cemetery
- St. Peter's Parish Cemetery
- St. Pierre Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Pierre Parish Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2265194<4>
- Greenwood Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Greenwood Cemetery
- Greenwood Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the south of Black Georges Savannah.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greenwood Cemetery
- Clyde River Cemetery
- Port Clyde Cemetery
- Birch Hill Cemetery
- Centreville Cemetery
- Newellton Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Newellton Cemetery
- Newellton Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<3> to the south of Black Georges Savannah.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Newellton Cemetery
- The Atlantic Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the The Atlantic Cemetery
- The Atlantic Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<3> to the south of Black Georges Savannah.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on The Atlantic Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Black Georges Savannah. See our List of 1890's Communities around Black Georges Savannah.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Nova Scotia
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Black Georges Savannah and then turned east". While Black Georges Savannah could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Black Georges Savannah as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Black Georges Savannah could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Nova Scotia community named Black Georges Savannah.
|<2>||It's generally believed that possessive apostrophes are removed to prevent confusion on maps where the apostrophe may be confused with a cartographic symbol. While this is generally true, it's not uncommon to find possessive apostrophes in administrative names (such as towns or counties).|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Black Georges Savannah) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Black Georges Savannah. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.6533, Longitude: -65.6592
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|