Our Genealogy Helper for Argyle Head ...
Although we found mention of Argyle Head during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Argyle Head was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Argyle Head (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Argyle Head. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Argyle Head:
- Websites specific to Nova Scotia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Nova Scotia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Nova Scotia
Cemeteries Near Argyle Head ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Argyle Head.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Argyle Head covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Ste. Anne Parish Cemetery
- Plymouth Cemetery
- Gavelton Meeting House Cemetery
- St. Pierre Parish Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Pierre Parish Cemetery
- St. Pierre Parish Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the south of Argyle Head.
- St. Pierre Parish Cemetery has also been known as:
- Eglise Saint-Pierre Cemetery
- Middle West Pubnico Church Cemetery
- St. Peter's Parish Cemetery
- St. Peter's Parish Cemetery
- St. Pierre Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Pierre Parish Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2265194<2>
- Chebogue Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Chebogue Cemetery
- Chebogue Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<3> to the west of Argyle Head.
- Chebogue Cemetery has also been known as:
- Town Point Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chebogue Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2135405<2>
- Yarmouth Mtn. Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Yarmouth Mtn. Cemetery
- Yarmouth Mtn. Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<3> to the west of Argyle Head.
- Yarmouth Mtn. Cemetery has also been known as:
- Mountain Cemetery
- Yarmouth Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Yarmouth Mtn. Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2318456<2>
- Continue List ...
- Our Lady of Calvary Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Our Lady of Calvary Cemetery
- Our Lady of Calvary Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<3> to the west of Argyle Head.
- Our Lady of Calvary Cemetery has also been known as:
- Our Lady of Calvary RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Our Lady of Calvary Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2315983<2>
- Old Acadian Cemetery
- Anglican Church Hill Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Anglican Church Hill Cemetery
- Anglican Church Hill Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<3> to the west of Argyle Head.
- Anglican Church Hill Cemetery has also been known as:
- Butler's Hill Anglican Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Anglican Church Hill Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2588881<2>
- Bonnycastle Cemetery
- Green Cove Cemetery
- Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
- Calvinist Baptist Cemetery
- Founders Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Founders Cemetery
- Founders Cemetery lies 18 miles [29 km]<3> to the northwest of Argyle Head.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Founders Cemetery
- Upper Clyde Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Argyle Head. See our List of 1890's Communities around Argyle Head.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Nova Scotia
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Argyle Head and then turned west". While Argyle Head could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Argyle Head as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Argyle Head could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Nova Scotia community named Argyle Head.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Argyle Head) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Argyle Head. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.8203, Longitude: -65.8575