Our Genealogy Helper for Alderney Point ...
Although we found mention of Alderney Point during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Alderney Point was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Alderney Point (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Alderney Point. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Alderney Point ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
For example, a typical abbreviation for Alderney Point: Alderney Pt.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Alderney Point:
- Websites specific to Nova Scotia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Nova Scotia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Nova Scotia
Cemeteries Near Alderney Point ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Alderney Point.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Alderney Point covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- St. Joseph Parish Cemetery
- St. John's Anglican Cemetery
- West Arichat Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the West Arichat Cemetery
- West Arichat Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the west of Alderney Point.
- West Arichat Cemetery has also been known as:
- Immaculate Conception Parish Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on West Arichat Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2365426<2>
- Star of the Sea Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Star of the Sea Cemetery
- Star of the Sea Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<3> to the south of Alderney Point.
- Star of the Sea Cemetery has also been known as:
- Star of the Sea RC Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Star of the Sea Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2303080<2>
- All Saints Anglican Church Cemetery
- Fourth Hill Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Old Canso Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Old Canso Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Old Canso Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Old Canso Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<3> to the south of Alderney Point.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Old Canso Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2364245<2>
- Holy Guardian Angels Parish Cemetery
- Holy Guardian Angels Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Holy Guardian Angels Cemetery
- Holy Guardian Angels Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<3> to the northeast of Alderney Point.
- Holy Guardian Angels Cemetery has also been known as:
- Mt. Calvary Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Holy Guardian Angels Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2373980<2>
- St. Agnes Cemetery
- Bayview Baptist Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bayview Baptist Cemetery
- Bayview Baptist Cemetery lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<3> to the southwest of Alderney Point.
- Bayview Baptist Cemetery has also been known as:
- Bayview Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bayview Baptist Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2315100<2>
- St. Francis Harbour RC Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Francis Harbour RC Cemetery
- St. Francis Harbour RC Cemetery lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<3> to the west of Alderney Point.
- St. Francis Harbour RC Cemetery has also been known as:
- Catholic Church of St. Francis of Assisi
- St. Francis Harbour Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Francis Harbour RC Cemetery
- Christ Church Queensport Anglican Cemetery
- Union Cemetery
- St. Vincent DePaul RC Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Vincent DePaul RC Cemetery
- St. Vincent DePaul RC Cemetery lies 18 miles [29 km]<3> to the southwest of Alderney Point.
- St. Vincent DePaul RC Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Vincent De Paul RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Vincent DePaul RC Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2525011<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Alderney Point. See our List of 1890's Communities around Alderney Point.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Nova Scotia
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Alderney Point and then turned west". While Alderney Point could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Alderney Point as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Alderney Point could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Nova Scotia community named Alderney Point.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Alderney Point) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Alderney Point. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.4903, Longitude: -60.9572
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|