We have been working on our Gazetteer for a long time and while we have collected a lot of information, there is much yet to be done. Keep in mind that whenever we find the mention of a community, we simply add it to our list so that we can go back and do further research. While this has proven a good way of finding communities, it has created many more questions than answers. If you can, we would appreciate your help in answering these accumulating questions.
For whatever it's worth, we have been asked many times why don't we just look-up the information ourselves (like from Wikipedia). Our list contains over 160,000 communities and in fact, we spend most of the day doing those searches. At a guess, we figure that it will take nearly a decade to go through the list just once. As you can imagine, any additional help is really appreciated.
Given its bulk, our data obviously contains scattered errors. The majority of the errors come from reference documents that should have been definitive. Some occur while entering our findings and others result from our methodologies. The problem is identifying the errors. As you read through our pages about Pine Sands and find errors, please let us know - we are working to be as accurate as we can.
The last point that we want to make is that we do our updates in blocks and with over 160,000 communities in our Gazetteer, it can be months between updates. We just wanted to warn you that if you sent us a note today, it may be days, months or even longer before the correction actually appears on our Gazetteer. While this seems to be a long time, please remember that it's just my wife and myself doing the work.
Our Wishlist For Pine Sands ...
In the case of Pine Sands, we are searching for the following information.
- While we have added Pine Sands to our Gazetteer, we don't have any information about how large it might be or even if it still exists. Is it a cluster of houses and buildings or is the community scattered throughout the area. If it's gone, have all traces of Pine Sands been erased or is there some kind of indication of where it was located?
- We dont't have the GPS coordinates for Pine Sands and would appreciate help in finding its location. The easiest way to find the latitude and longitude is to visit our Interactive Map for Pine Sands
On the map, we usually switch to 'Satellite' mode and zoom-in as needed. You can then move the Map Marker to the desired location (you'll see a cross-hair as you move the Marker). When you release the Marker, the Latitude/Longitude for the Marker will be found just below the map and to the right. Just copy/paste those numbers into your note.
- How do the people of Pine Sands refer to themselves (also known as a Denomyn)?<1> For example, a person from Alberta is called a Albertan. In the same way, how would a resident of Pine Sands be called?
- Do you know when the community was founded or settled?
- What is the story behind the name of Pine Sands (also known as a Toponym)?
- Many communities are founded with one name and then eventually change to something else. Do you know any of these previous names, the approximate date and the reason for the change? If there was more than one name change, do you know those names and the order in which they occurred?
- Are there alternate names for Pine Sands, variations in the spelling, etc?
- Are there nicknames, slogans or sobriquets for Pine Sands?
- Do we have the correct time zone for Pine Sands?
- Do you know the postal code(s) for Pine Sands?
- Do you know if there is an official website for Pine Sands?
- Is there a Chamber of Commerce website for Pine Sands?
- We are looking for descriptions from old books (1800s thru early 1900s), such as Gazetteers and Shipping Guides, that describe Pine Sands. If you have such a description, please send it to us with the name and year of the book that it came from. If available, please include the author and publisher of the book.
- Are there cemeteries in the area? Whether they are large or small, famous or forgotten, we would appreciate it if you would send us their name and GPS coordinates (the latitude/longitude). Even if you don't know the name of a cemetery, please send its coordinates - somebody, someplace, may know its name.
In closing, thank you for any help you can provide. While it might take time for everything to appear on our website, it will make it eventually.