Glossary and Definitions ...
- Area Code Overlay
- An Overlay refers to the situation in which two (or more) area codes (eg- 403, 587) serve the same geographic area. In the case of Gull Lake, area code (587) is the Overlay for area code (403).
The Overlay is necessary when the geographic area requires (or in the future will need) more phone numbers than can be provided by a single area code.
When an Overlay is present, 10-digit dialing becomes necessary for all calls. There are different types of Overlays, with each having its own characteristics and dialing requirements.
If you would like to learn more about Overlays, we suggest the Wikipedia entry for Overlays.
- Although there are regional variations, a village that is incorporated (such as Gull Lake) is generally one with a charter from the Province, defined boundaries and is governed by elected officials. By contrast, unincorporated communities usually exist by tradition, frequently with nebulous boundaries and without a recognized government.
- A portmanteau is the forming of a linguistic combination or contraction by taking two (or more) words, their sound and the meaning of those words to create a new word. For example, guess and estimate becomes guesstimate. An explanation of Gull Lake can be found under Toponymy (see below).
- Quinquennial Census
- The Statistics Canada (StatCan) Census is conducted every 5 years with the purpose of counting the people living in Canada. This is known as a 'Quinquennial' Census. The process of taking a Census is called an 'Enumeration'.
The purpose of the Census is to provide information about the demographic and social characteristics of the people of Canada. The results of the Census goes to the federal, provincal, territorial and local governments to support their planning and administrative activities.
The most recent StatCan census was conducted in 2011. The next Quinquennial Census will be conducted in 2016.
By comparison, the United Status Census is conducted once every 10 years and is called a 'Decennial' Census.
- The definition of toponymy includes the study of place names (in this case, the village of Gull Lake). Toponymy includes the origin of the name and any meanings or stories that might be behind the name. While we generally limit ourselves to just the origin of a community's name, we appreciate any additional information.
The toponymy of Gull Lake: T4L