We have been working on our Gazetteer for a long time and while we have collected a lot of information, much of the detail is still missing. Keep in mind that whenever we find the mention of a community, we simply add it to our list so that we can go back and do further research. While this has proven a good way of finding communities, it has created more questions than answers. If you can, we would appreciate your help in answering these accumulating questions.
Where appropriate, please include the GPS coordinates. The easiest way to find the latitude and longitude is to visit our Interactive Map for Tuscumbia.
We usually switch the map to 'Satellite' mode and zoom-in as needed. You can then move the Map Marker to the desired location (you'll see a cross-hair as you move the Marker). When you release the Marker, the Latitude/Longitude for the Marker will be found just below the map and to the right. Just copy/paste those numbers into your note.
The first point that we would like to make is that our data contains errors. Some of the errors result from our methodologies and others occur while entering our findings. That said, the majority of the errors come from our reference documents, even documents that should be definitive. The problem is identifying the errors. As you read through our pages about Tuscumbia and find errors, please let us know - we want to be accurate.
The last point that we want to make is that we do our updates in blocks and with over 160,000 communities in our Gazetteer, it can be months between updates. We just wanted to warn you that if you sent us a note today, it may be days or months before the correction actually appears on our Gazetteer. While this seems to be a long time, please remember that it's just my wife and myself doing the work.
Our Wishlist For Tuscumbia ...
In the case of Tuscumbia, we are searching for the following information.
- What is the story behind the name of Tuscumbia (also known as a Toponym)?
- Are there alternate names for Tuscumbia, variations in the spelling, etc?
- Are there nicknames, slogans or sobriquets for Tuscumbia? For example, Tuscumbia might declare itself to be The Happiest Place in Colbert County.
- Do we have the correct time zone for Tuscumbia?
- Do you know if there is an official website for Tuscumbia?
- Is there a Chamber of Commerce website for Tuscumbia?
- If there is a Community Association, does it have a website?
- Is there a Junior League website?
- Do you know of any awards or recognitions given to Tuscumbia? Examples include: All American City, Tree City USA, Sustainability Awards, etc. If you know the month and year when it was awarded, please include that as well.
- We are looking for descriptions from old books (1800s thru early 1900s), such as Gazetteers and Shipping Guides, that describe Tuscumbia. If you have such a description, please send it to us with the name and year of the book that it came from. If available, please include the author and publisher of the book.
- We've created a list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Tuscumbia. Have we missed any? The list can be found on our page for Communities Neighboring Tuscumbia in the 1890's.
- Are there cemeteries in the area? Whether they are large or small, famous or forgotten, we would appreciate it if you would send us their name and GPS coordinates (the latitude/longitude). Even if you don't know the name of a cemetery, please send its coordinates - somebody, someplace, may know its name.
If you're interested, we have a list of nearby cemeteries which are relatively close to Tuscumbia and you can find this list on our Cemetery List for Tuscumbia.
In closing, thank you for any help you can provide. While it might take time for everything to appear on our website, it will make it eventually.