- About Semmes
- The city of Semmes is located in Mobile County (Alabama).
According to the 2010 US Census, Semmes has a population of 3,435 people.
Our Pages for Semmes ...
|-profile || General information about Semmes |
|-nearby || What's in the neighborhood around Semmes |
|-bycounty || Nearest communities to Semmes (By-County) |
|-census || Census information for Semmes |
|-tidbits || Tidbits and trivia about Semmes |
|-genealogy || Our Genealogy Helper for Semmes |
|-cemeteries || Cemeteries in the area of Semmes |
|-localpapers || Newspapers published in the immediate area of Semmes |
|-newspapers || Newspapers published in a broader area around Semmes |
|-summary || Summarized information |
|-map || Interactive map centered on Semmes |
|-tripmap || TripAdvisor Tourism pages |
|-misc || Miscellaneous information |
|-wishlist || Things we would like to know about Semmes |
|-glossary || This page... |
Glossary and Definitions ...
- Decennial Census
- The US Constitution requires that a count of the country's population be conducted every 10 years. The Census is conducted on those years ending in '0' (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010). This is known as a 'Decennial' Census. The process of taking a Census is called an 'Enumeration'.
The count includes citizens, non-citizen legal residents, long-term non-citizen visitors and illegal immigrants.
The purpose of the Census is to provide information about the demographic and social characteristics of the people of the United States. The results of the Census goes to the federal, state and local governments to support their planning and administrative activities.
The first Census was conducted in 1790. The most recent Census was conducted in 2010. The next Decennial Census will be conducted in 2020.
By comparison, the Canadian Census is conducted once every 5 years and is called a 'Quinquennial' Census.
- FIPS Codes
- In the past, the federal government created a set of codes that are used to uniquely identify States, Counties and Populated Places (such as a city like Semmes). These codes form the Federal Information Processing Standard. (specifically FIPS Document 55-3).
The State Code consists of two digits, the County Code consists of three digits and the Place Code consists of five digits. The County and Place Codes must be used together with the State Code to be truly unique.
For example, the following codes apply to the city of Semmes:
- State Code: 01 (Alabama)
- State / County Code: 01 / 097 (Mobile County)
- State / Place Code: 01 / 69240
The FIPS Codes have been replaced by an ANSI standard and the GNIS Feature ID. Although obsolete, the FIPS Codes are still in use by some organizations.
For more information about the FIPS Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Semmes.
- GNIS Codes
- The function of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) is to establish uniform names for geographic features (eg- communities, mountains, lakes, rivers, streams, etc). The BGN was created to address the problems caused by spelling and naming variations. BGN–accepted names are kept in a database called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS), which is operated and maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).
A unique and permanent identifier has been assigned for each feature in the GNIS database. These names and identifiers are definitive.
Semmes has been given the GNIS Feature ID of '126546'. Click here to see the GNIS Record for Semmes.
- Although there are regional variations, a city that is incorporated (such as Semmes) is generally one with a charter from the State, defined boundaries and is governed by elected officials. By contrast, unincorporated communities usually exist by tradition, frequently with nebulous boundaries and without a recognized government.