- About Hayneville
- Hayneville is located in Lowndes County (Alabama) and is the County Seat for Lowndes County.
According to the 2010 US Census, Hayneville has a population of 932 people, making it Lowndes' 3rd and Alabama's 265th most populous community.
Our Pages for Hayneville ...
|-profile || General information about Hayneville |
|-nearby || What's in the neighborhood around Hayneville |
|-bycounty || Nearest communities to Hayneville (By-County) |
|-census || Census information for Hayneville |
|-tidbits || Tidbits and trivia about Hayneville |
|-genealogy || Our Genealogy Helper for Hayneville |
|-cemeteries || Cemeteries in the area of Hayneville |
|-localpapers || Newspapers published in the immediate area of Hayneville |
|-newspapers || Newspapers published in a broader area around Hayneville |
|-summary || Summarized information |
|-map || Interactive map centered on Hayneville |
|-tripmap || TripAdvisor Tourism pages |
|-misc || Miscellaneous information |
|-wishlist || Things we would like to know about Hayneville |
|-glossary || This page... |
Glossary and Definitions ...
- Census Area for Hayneville
- The Area value provided by the US Census Bureau reflects their statistical (or sampling) requirements and it can be different than the geographic boundaries of Hayneville. For example, if there is a cluster of people living just outside of the town's official boundary, the Census-defined area might be expanded to include that group.
At the time of the 2010 Census, the US Census gave a land area of 1.86 square miles [4.8 km²] and a water area of 0.02 square miles [0 km²], giving Hayneville a total area of 1.88 square miles [4.9 km²].
It should be noted that the area given by the Census Bureau can change from one Census to the next.
- Census Housing Unit
- The US Census considers a Housing Unit to be a place where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter.
Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Hayneville had 440 Housing Units.
- Decennial Census
- The US Constitution requires that a count of the country's population be conducted every 10 years. The Census is conducted on those years ending in '0' (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010). This is known as a 'Decennial' Census. The process of taking a Census is called an 'Enumeration'.
The count includes citizens, non-citizen legal residents, long-term non-citizen visitors and illegal immigrants.
The purpose of the Census is to provide information about the demographic and social characteristics of the people of the United States. The results of the Census goes to the federal, state and local governments to support their planning and administrative activities.
The first Census was conducted in 1790. The most recent Census was conducted in 2010. The next Decennial Census will be conducted in 2020.
By comparison, the Canadian Census is conducted once every 5 years and is called a 'Quinquennial' Census.
- FIPS Codes
- In the past, the federal government created a set of codes that are used to uniquely identify States, Counties and Populated Places (such as a town like Hayneville). These codes form the Federal Information Processing Standard. (specifically FIPS Document 55-3).
The State Code consists of two digits, the County Code consists of three digits and the Place Code consists of five digits. The County and Place Codes must be used together with the State Code to be truly unique.
For example, the following codes apply to the town of Hayneville:
- State Code: 01 (Alabama)
- State / County Code: 01 / 085 (Lowndes County)
- State / Place Code: 01 / 33712
The FIPS Codes have been replaced by an ANSI standard and the GNIS Feature ID. Although obsolete, the FIPS Codes are still in use by some organizations.
For more information about the FIPS Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Hayneville.
- GNIS Codes
- The function of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) is to establish uniform names for geographic features (eg- communities, mountains, lakes, rivers, streams, etc). The BGN was created to address the problems caused by spelling and naming variations. BGN–accepted names are kept in a database called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS), which is operated and maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).
A unique and permanent identifier has been assigned for each feature in the GNIS database. These names and identifiers are definitive.
Hayneville has been given the GNIS Feature ID of '2405810'. Click here to see the GNIS Record for Hayneville.
- Although there are regional variations, a town that is incorporated (such as Hayneville) is generally one with a charter from the State, defined boundaries and is governed by elected officials. By contrast, unincorporated communities usually exist by tradition, frequently with nebulous boundaries and without a recognized government.